Why the arts?
- "If we omit art from the curriculum, we are in effect shortchanging the mind."
- Howard Gardner, Professor of Education, Harvard University
- "Art in all its distinct forms defines, in many ways, those qualities that are at the heart of education reform -- creativity, perseverance, a sense of standards, and, above all, a striving for excellence."
- Richard W. Riley, U.S. Secretary of Education
- The arts build the skills that business values.
- Business Week, October 28, 1996
- Schools benefit from a strong arts program.
- The Power of the Arts to Transform Education, developed by the Arts Education Partnership Working Group
- Strengthen academic performance.
- Why Business Should Support the Arts: Facts, Figures, and Philosophy, Business Committee for the Arts
- Improve SAT scores.
- The College Board Profile of SAT and Achievement Tests Takers for 1990, 1991, 1992, 1993
- Build life skills.
- Educating for Tomorrow's Jobs and Life Skills, by Eliot Eisner, Arts Education for Life and Work, The Getty Education Institute for the Arts
- Humanize the learning environment.
- Understanding How the Arts Contribute to Excellent Education. Preparted for the National Endowment for the Arts, 1991
- Formulate relationships across and among traditional disciplines.
- The Power of the Arts to Transform Education: An Agenda for Action, Developed by the Arts Education Partnership under the sponsorship of the John F. Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts and the J. Paul Getty Trust, January 1993
- Contribute to the overall culture of excellence in a school.
- Understanding How the Arts Contribute to Excellent Education, Prepared for the National Endowment for the Arts, 1991
- Contribute to brain development.
- "Art for the Brain's Sake", Robert Sylvester, Professor Emeritus of Education at the University of Oregon - From Educational Leadership, November 1998
- Historically served to connect our imaginations with the deepest questions of human existence.
- The National Visual Arts Standards, developed by the Consortium of National Arts Education Associates